holiday

by



These are the things I wish for you this season: to be really, really happy as opposed to really, really sad, because there is something emotionally polarizing about the chill in the air and the lights reflecting off all our faces, red and green and blue and yellow. I wish you the company of family, no matter how many times you drove one another crazy this year, and the company of friends, brave and true and messy and wild ones, no matter how many times you thought you’d rather go through life alone. I wish you grand soaring romance, the kind that sweeps across continents and is too enormous and generous to fit into your fragile little human palms; and in the absence or not-quite-thereness of that I wish you the fearlessness and gallantry to embrace your freedom, to know that you are the only person who gets to decide who you will be tomorrow, and the day after that, and the day after that. I wish you all the right words, and silences that fill your lungs with an incredible shout-it-from-the-rooftops joy, and a chance to surprise yourself, and a chance to have someone else’s beauty and radiance surprise you. I wish you these: your favorite person’s hand in yours, a warm hug from a child who loves you, a heart that has healed itself of all the year’s hurts. I wish you the wonders of the world, always.

Merry Christmas to you and yours. xx